Palestine has always been a matter of great controversy. As Muslim students and activists it is imperative that issues regarding Palestine be at the forefront of our agenda as we have taken it upon ourselves to "enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong." Palestine, is an issue that we cannot ignore as it is our religious duty to educate our campus communities about issues pertaining to injustice so that we may put an end to the oppression of our Muslim brothers and sisters under Israel's military occupation.
Why Boycott, Divest, Sanctions Movement?
The BDS movement seeks to disable Israel through nonviolent acts of resistance by boycotting Israeli products manufactured within illegal settlements. Students have sought the removal of Israeli products from their campuses by urging their student governments to discontinue the sale of Israeli goods manufactured in illegal settlements. Please see the following documents to learn how your MSA can be involved in similar nonviolent initiatives of resistance.
UCLA Divestment Packet Blurb:
In 2010, students at UCLA initiated a campaign to boycott Israel by seeking the removal of General Electric products from the UCLA campus store. These documents are intended to serve as a resource for on-campus divestment efforts.
- Campanies Building The Apartheid Wall
- Divesting From Israel: A Handbook
- Divest Now! A Handbook for Student Divestment Campaigns
Resourceful and Informative Websites:
- The Iron Cage - The Israeli Occupation of Palestine [Lecture by Dr. Rashid Khalidi]
- Israel-Palestine: Beyond the Headlines
- The Future of Palestine - Prof. John Mearsheimer
- Burke Lecture: Israeli Policy of Separate Development
- Opportunities Amidst Crises: UNRWA and Palestine refugees in today's Middle East
- MSA West 2011 - Divestment: Justice in the Holy Land
- SJP at UCLA - Teachin for Palestine Awareness Week 2011
- Noam Chomsky - US/ Israeli Crimes Against Palestine
- Boycott Divestment Sanction Israel
- US activists urge boycott of Israeli companies - 15 Feb 09
- UC Berkeley Speaks Out Against Divestment Bill Veto
- Global Boycott Divestment & Sanctions (BDS) Day of Action against Israeli Apartheid
- Voices of Hampshire, Voices of Divestment